Whether you're moving to a new apartment or a new home, having family and friends help you move can save time and money. However, asking for help with packing, unloading or the entire moving process is a big commitment and requires some etiquette and courtesies.
Tips for Asking for Help When Moving
Asking for moving help is one of the biggest favors you can ask of a person. To ensure you and whoever helps you remain on good terms after you move into your new place, you should follow a certain etiquette.
Here are some dos and don'ts for asking for help moving:
- Do acknowledge that you are requesting a big favor: Moving isn't a fun or easy task for anyone, and showing your appreciation for their help moving will let your friends and family know you acknowledge their work.
- Don't take it personally if someone can't help: Ask people who can easily fit the time to help you move into your schedule first, and be understanding if schedule conflicts or other events prevent others from helping you.
- Do give advance notice: Try to ask people for help at least a week in advance so they have time to clear their schedule or get any needed supplies.
- Don't be vague about the help you need: Be as direct and specific as possible so your helpers know what to expect before arrival.
- Do provide refreshments: Offering water, snacks and treats will help keep your helpers happy and maintain their energy levels throughout the day.
While having friends and family help you move is a great option, there are times when you need the assistance of professional movers. Some of the many benefits of enlisting the help of professional movers include:
- Experience: Professional moving companies have the expertise to handle large and bulky items safely.
- Insurance: Many professional moving companies will offer insurance coverage on your items to protect them against damage during transportation.
- Efficiency: A moving company can load the truck, drive it to your new home and unload it within a single day to save time and money.
- Equipment: Moving companies have the supplies to prevent breakage and injury, whether you need a ramp, dolly or hoisting strap.
Contact SK Builders Today
While moving can be a time-consuming task, the result will be worth it when you move into your home from SK Builders. SK Builders has been helping homeowners design and build the home of their dreams since 1994. Explore our available homes today or complete our contact form to learn more!